Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply? 

Contact the office to set up an appointment with one of our case managers. You will be required to complete a general application and bring in all the required documentation for the service. 

What if I don't have all the documentation? 

Contact the office to see if it is necessary for your appointment. We will help you navigate through the process. 
Are there any income limits? 

All of our grant funding has income limits. They frequently change and it is best to meet with a Case Manager to see if you qualify. A lot of times if we cant help we can refer you to a place that can.

How can I prove residency? 

Proving Douglas County residency is a requirement to all services offer by DCSS. We accept a current utility bill (must be dated within the last 30 days). If you do not have a utility bill you must get a written letter from the property owner and a copy of their utility bill. Call if you have any questions. 

Does the Food Closet have an income limit? 

At this time, the Food Closet does not have an income limit. They do have a residency requirement and you must live in Douglas County. 

Does Social Services pay any late fees? 

DCSS is not allowed to pay late fees of any kind for utilities or rent. If we can help with a service the client must be able to pay the late fee. 

Can you assist with my SNAP, Medicaid, or TANF? 

A representative from welfare is in our office weekly to assist those signing up for SNAP and Medicaid. If you are Appling for TANF, you must go to the welfare main office in Carson City. Social Services Staff are not trained in welfare  programs and can only direct those who need help to the welfare office. 

Can I repay Social Services back for assisting? 

Social Services is grant funded and If you qualify for services you are not required to pay us back.